By Li Wei
- Provides a complete creation to this interdisciplinary box of analysis and perform, facing useful problems with language and communication
- Takes a problem-solving technique, introducing scholars to key learn questions and guiding them in the course of the numerous methods of tackling these
- Features extra research aids all through, together with bankruptcy outlines, studying targets, keyword phrases, learn questions and solutions, examine questions, and urged additional readings
- Enables scholars to spot every-day language and conversation matters, and to attract on their lonesome own experiences
- Edited through a number one determine within the box, heading up an skilled and interdisciplinary staff of individuals from the popular division of utilized linguistics at Birkbeck collage, college of London – leading to distinctive blend of information, abilities, and energy from students who train and learn together
Read or Download Applied Linguistics (Introducing Linguistics) PDF
Best linguistics books
This is often the 1st book-length functional-typologically encouraged crosslinguistic learn of comitatives and similar different types corresponding to the instrumental. at the foundation of knowledge drawn from four hundred languages world-wide (covering all significant phyla and areas), the authors try out and revise a number of basic linguistic hypotheses concerning the grammar and cognitive foundations of comitatives.
Considerably extended and up to date, the second one variation of The instruction manual of Language, Gender and Sexuality brings jointly a group of the best experts within the box to create a entire evaluation of key ancient topics and matters, besides methodologies and state-of-the-art study themes. Examines the dynamic ways in which men and women improve and deal with gendered identities via their speak, providing facts and case reviews from interactions in more than a few social contexts and diverse groups considerably up to date for the second one version, together with a brand new advent, 24 newly-commissioned chapters, ten up to date chapters, and a finished index contains new chapters on learn in non-English conversing international locations – from Asia to South the USA – and state of the art themes resembling language, gender, and pop culture; language and sexual identities; and language, gender, and socio-phonetics New sections concentrate on key subject matters and concerns within the box, similar to methodological techniques to language and gender, incorporating new chapters on dialog research, severe discourse research, corpus linguistics, and version idea presents unrivalled geographic insurance and a necessary source for a variety of disciplines, from linguistics, psychology, sociology, and anthropology to conversation and gender experiences
This e-book presents a longer exploration of the multimodal research of spatial (three-dimensional) texts of the outfitted environment, culminating in a holistic procedure termed Spatial Discourse research (SpDA). in accordance with present frameworks frameworks of multimodal analysis, this ebook applies, adapts, and extends those frameworks to spatial texts.
This thorough examine of the expression of distinction within the world's vowel structures examines phonetic and phonological variations among so-called robust and vulnerable positions, bringing the total variety of knowledge from positional neutralization structures to undergo on valuable questions on the interface among phonetics and phonology.
- Freezing: Theoretical Approaches and Empirical Domains (Studies in Generative Grammar [SGG])
- Language Teaching Through the Ages (Routledge Research in Education)
- Languages of Mainland Southeast Asia: The State of the Art (Pacific Linguistics [PL])
- Deutsche Sprache und Kolonialismus: Aspekte der nationalen Kommunikation 1884 - 1919 (German Edition)
- Specters of Democracy: Blackness and the Aesthetics of Politics in the Antebellum U.S.
- Collected Works of Braj B. Kachru: Volume 1
Extra resources for Applied Linguistics (Introducing Linguistics)
Applied Linguistics (Introducing Linguistics) by Li Wei